Sunday, October 16, 2016

Ch. 14 - Marketing Channels and Retailing

The UFC as a mixed-martial arts (MMA) promotion makes its profits mainly through Pay-per-view reveneus, which is what my main topic is about.  However the MMA promotion also earns revenues through different channels.  The UFC has a variety of licensed merchandise to include clothing, memorabilia, and even video games.  However what has emerged in recent years are gym franchises licensed by the UFC themselves.  I live in New Jersey, and a new UFC Gym recently opened near my area.  The gym is named "Frankie Edgar UFC Gym", named after a very famous New Jersey native fighter.  Since they were giving away free passes, I decided to give the place a try.  The gym was very spacious and had everything a normal physical fitness gyms would have such as weights, aerobic machines, and swimming pools.  However what made the UFC Gym different was that it was also a mixed-martial arts school.

Front Entrance of UFC Gym
There are plenty of martial arts schools around my area if you wanted to train in a specific craft.  However who wouldn't want to train martial arts in a gym that is owned by a famous fighter if you are a UFC fan?  Creating a gym franchise is a brilliant idea on the UFC's part, as not only does it offer fighters a different avenue of earning money while they are not competing, but it also serves as a marketing tool for upcoming events.

I didn't get to visit the gym during the opening day, but had I gone I would've been able to meet some famous fighters that I definitely would have wanted to meet.
I entered the UFC gym and after signing some papers was allowed to work out for the day.  The gym had plenty of weights for everyone, as well as a myriad amount of treadmills if you wanted to do some cardio work.  There was also a replica competition cage, which I'm sure people are allowed to spar in if they wanted to (with some supervision by a staff member).  


 The gym also offered kickboxing classes as well as Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu classes for any level.  Each day according to the schedule had a class almost every other hour, ranging from 5am in the morning to 9pm at night.  Not only that, but the gym was also open 24 hours a day.  If I wasn't already a member of another martial arts gym, I would highly consider joining this gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment